Polish Żurek (sour rye soup) recipe to celebrate Easter
Easter is only a few days away, so it?s time to think about Easter recipes. There are many dishes to choose from, ranging from devilled eggs to pound cake. We decided to present a recipe, most commonly associated with the holiday: żurek, also known as Polish sour rye soup. It is a classic amongst Polish households and always present at the Easter table. The dish has multiple variations, but we went with the one traditionally made during Easter.
For the soup you will need (6 servings):
– 400ml sourdough starter
– 2l chicken stock (Polish rosół works great as well)
– 350g smoked bacon
– 3 white kiełbasa sausages
– 250ml whipping cream (30% fat)
– 3 eggs
– 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
– 5 onions
– ? celery
– 1 medium carrot
– 1 parsley root
– 1 tsp grated horseradish
– 1 tsp marjoram
– 1 bay leaf
– 3 allspice berries
– Fresh parsley
1. In a large pot, combine the chicken stock, carrot, celery, parsley root, bay leaf, and allspice. Let it cook on medium heat, while you prepare the next ingredients (let it simmer, not boil)
2. Dice the onion and bacon. Start frying the bacon (you won?t need additional oil as the fat from the meat will be enough).
3. Once most of the bacon fat melted, add in the onion and fry until it turns golden brown.
4. Toss in the fried onion and bacon, along with the raw white kiełbasa sausages, into the cooking stock. Cook it another 10-15min.
5. Take the sausages out of the stock.
6. Pour sourdough starter into the stock. It?s best if you start with a small amount and gradually add more, tasting along the way. You don?t have to add the entire amount listed, just adjust to your preferences.
7. Mix the whipping cream and flour in a separate bowl, until combined. You can add a small amount of the stock to get rid of all lumps.
8. Pour the flour-cream mixture into the cooking stock and mix thoroughly.
9. Add the horseradish, marjoram to the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Hard to boil the eggs in a separate pot (boil in water for approx. 10min). Cut in half.
11. Cut the sausages, you previously removed from the stock, into bite-sized slices.
12. Serve the soup in a bowl or hollowed-out bread roll and top with the cut sausages and eggs. Garnish with chopped, fresh parsley.
From the entire team at the Ancestors Poland Foundation, we wish you and your family a joyful, peaceful, and safe Easter. We hope you give our recipe a try!